Bomb threats or suspicious items should always be taken seriously. How quickly and safely you react to a bomb threat could save lives, including your own.
How to React Quickly and Safely to Suspicious Packages and Bomb Threats
Bomb threats are a rare but serious event. How quickly and safely you react can save lives, including your own:
- DO report suspicious activity, unattended packages, or a potential bomb threat to authorities immediately, follow instructions, and evacuate the area
- DO provide as much detail as possible to authorities
- DO seek distance and cover - they are the best means to reduce the risk of injury
- DO NOT approach or inspect suspicious items or unattended packages
- DO NOT congregate near the incident scene - it may impede first responders and there could be a risk of secondary attack
Be Prepared for IEDs and Play a Role in Prevention
Below are counter-IED resources appropriate for individuals, families, travelers, educational and religious institutions, and businesses, as well as law enforcement, emergency services, or security professionals, which provide insight to help increase preparedness and reduce risks associated with potential bombings.
BMAP Products Include:
Bomb Threat Guidance Resources:
- Bomb Threat Checklist
- Bomb Threat Standoff Card
- Bomb Threat Management Guidance Quad-fold
- Bomb Threat Management Video